Friday, January 5, 2007

Crossroads at Dawn


If I look a little confused in this picture, I am. What time is it, anyway? Five in the morning and Joan's capturing my portrait on digital? I haven't even shaken the sleep from my eyes.

Wait a minute; dogs don't have to shake the sleep from their eyes. God, I hope I'm not getting human qualities, because who knows where that would lead. Dogs never wake up groggy unless they've had an operation or something. We just wake up, kaBAMM, ready to see what's up. Humans don't do that at all. Like Joan, for example. She kind of slaps the covers back and slowly drags herself out of sleep, especially when it's cold. Then, she rubs her eyes, mumbles things about how there's no choice, who needs all that sleep anyway?, and opens the sliding-glass door to the rising dawn. Shane and I run outside to check out the rabbits, and she closes herself back inside the house to do whatever humans feel they have to do before presenting themselves to other humans. But, this morning, it was as though she had some sort of epiphany or photographic inspiration. She's up to something; I can just feel it.

Me? Look at that picture. It looks as though I just took the indecisive road (see the crossroads behind me?), and can't decide what to do next. Oh, I know—breakfast. Okay. Smile for the camera. Let's get it over with.

Best wishes, Juno

No comments: