Friday, November 9, 2007

Just Wag Your Tail

I swear, I don't have imaginary friends.


You can’t see him, but you can smell him. He’s a little dog with a great big head, all black, short hair, very stocky. He must live down the block, because he shows up on a regular basis and causes me to get up and bark. If only he’d come up to the fence and say hello, I wouldn’t bark. The trouble is, the second I see him, he hides. That’s why you probably won’t believe me when I tell you that he’s not my imaginary friend. Imaginary friends don’t make you bark; they’re nice to you; they play tag with you. (Uhm, at least that’s what I’ve heard.)

I think it’s a good thing to say hello. It makes the neighborhood calmer, more tranquil, friendlier. Sometimes, dogs who seem really scary turn out to be very friendly. All you have to do is wag your tail when you see them, and they change from tough to mush in a split second.

People around here are like that, too. They look all mean with their pant waists wrapped around their knees, bopping down the street with their eyes all scrunched up and their lips curled into a snarly pose. Well, all I have to do is wag my tail, and they get the biggest smile on their faces and say, “Hello, beautiful.” You should try it. Unless you’re human and don’t have a tail. Then, well, you could just smile and say hello yourself.

Best wishes, Juno

No comments: