Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Burried Treasures



Sometimes, I come into the house with tell-tale dirt stains on my pristinely black and shiny nose (see picture), and Joan knows right away that I’ve found a digging spot in the yard. Well, I’m here to assure you humans that if you didn’t throw interesting things in the dirt, we dogs wouldn’t be digging up your yards. Sure it’s great to roll ourselves in, say, a recently deceased fish we might pass on a visit to the beach. But, we refrain, because we know you humans don’t like to have big old smells wafting through your house or cars. However, when the stinky treasure is of your own doing and it’s buried under three or four or eight inches of dirt, you can’t expect a healthy dog to sit in the yard and pretend it isn’t there. It’s too enticing. It’s entrapment, that’s what it is! So my nose gets a little sandy; so the grass is dug up in a few spots—doesn’t a healthy lawn need aerating on occasion? Sure it does.

On another subject entirely, there are moments when I think Shane is the coolest friend ever. He had a fever today, and we were worried about him. But, the crisis passed and here we are communicating on the grass in the yard not too far from the two holes I dug while Joan was on the phone. We’re so cute, she didn’t even notice.

Best wishes, Juno

PS: Hi, Scooby!

No comments: