Sunday, April 22, 2007

Men in Circles


He he he. I got out of my walk today, and Joan didn’t go into her Cesar Milan copycat mode or insist on being “leader of the pack.” She understood that the first beautiful spring Sundays in our neighborhood are dominated by very scary noises from strange men who rev up their motorcycles and motor scooters and go around the block numerous times. And numerous means almost all day. They only stop to smoke and un-bow their legs. The grown ups do their circles on big loud bikes, and the little kids do them on little whining bikes, but they’re all loud enough to scare me. So, why do human males go in circles on loud bikes? I wonder what they see of interest after, say, the tenth or eleventh time around the loop.

Joan says they’re trying to prove that they’re men, and she wishes they’d find a better way to do it—like by picking up the garbage in the streets or by helping her carry heavy things. Anyway, the noises make me shake and worry, and I just can’t walk; Shane can’t either. I mean, the noise doesn’t scare him, but he doesn’t like to take walks without me. Isn’t that sweet?

Yesterday, I had another medicated bath, but so did Shane. I must say, we both smell like a soapy spring breeze. The buds are just peaking out of their winter hiding places, so pretty soon, everything will be green. But, how we all wish the motorcycles would break down and melt in the afternoon sun.

Best wishes, Juno

1 comment:

Deanna said...

My sister, Dakota, is scared of loud trucks and motorcycles, too. I hope the men settle down so you can walk again.