Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Don't Be Scared of Me


See the new loveseat? It’s red, and thanks to Aunt Judith (it could have been pink floral, and then Joan never would have accepted it), now I have lying-down options, for it folds out into a real sort of bed, great for company in a pinch. You can never have enough sleeping areas, unless you don’t like your relatives or they don’t like you.

Not all of Joan’s relatives like dogs, you might be surprised to know. Well, they say they like us, but we can tell that it just isn’t so. They like to say they like dogs, and that’s about it. It’s okay, though. I like people; they don’t have to like me.

It’s funny when Joan walks me through the neighborhood when the tough guys are hanging out in the street. Some of them just smile and say I’m beautiful; but, others pretend they’re too cool to smile or say anything, and I can see how they take mini-steps back so they can avoid me. Sillies. They think I’ll bite them, but I never would. Shane would, but not me. But, they’re not really scared of Shane anymore, because he’s got that arthritic limp. Ha! Never let a nervous arthritic dog lull you into thinking he’s calm like me.

Anyway, it’s always funny to watch people act like they’re not afraid when they really are. I think people used to be able to smell one another’s dispositions; but you’ve lost that talent. Not dogs. We can smell exactly what you’re thinking.

Best wishes, Juno

No comments: