Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ice, Wind, & Fallen Branches



You call this snow? Last night, while we slept in our comfy beds, it began to snow. I could sense it. Whenever it snows, the sound of the world loses its sharpness, and everything is muted and safe. Sometimes Joan's hug covers my ears and eyes, which makes all the tensions of the universe disappear. Well, a snow fall is like that, especially when I'm inside the warm house, all tranquil and protected. So, I was really looking forward to a romp in the snow when I got up this morning.

Hrumph. It turned out to be a little white dust--not the paw-whitening powder that I've come to know and love. Then, it began to sleet and everything turned into ice. Shane and I lasted maybe five minutes outside before I barked our way back into the house.
It's a mess outside. Joan didn't even come home for lunch, because the last time she came home for lunch during an ice storm, she broke her ankle. As though that's going to happen a second time!

Anyway, you can see the pictures of the horrible icy day—all gray and untranquil. My picture is posterized, so I look a little on the devilish side. Oh, and this evening, a big icy branch broke off the neighbor's tree and landed on the garage. We heard the crunch, but we're used to those sounds, so we didn't even bother to go look until the neighbor came to tell us about it. Oooooh, listen to that wind howl like an echo in an empty tunnel. I'm staying in.

Best wishes on this Valentine's Day, Juno

No comments: