Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Waiting for the Spirit






I don’t know what my problem is. I have no stick-to-it-tive-ness. I love taking walks, really. Everyone talks to me in their high-pitchy voices; all sorts of kids run after me and pet me with their smooth stubby hands; smells beckon me from the bushes along the parkway with their steamy, yet subtle, perfumes; squirrels tempt me to run after them, but I don’t take the bait. And yet, I put up such a fuss every single day that sometimes we just stay in because Joan’s too tired to play Dog-Whisperer Clone.

It’s the fire-crackers. You never know when one’s going to go off. It’s the loud motors. You never know when they’re going to lose control and hit me or Shane. It’s the . . . Oh, I’m just making excuses. I’m like a human on a diet, a human on a get-in-shape plan. Diets don’t work. Getting in shape doesn’t work. You’ve got to change your life, your attitude, your list of priorities.

All this will I ponder as Shane waits, as Joan waits, as all the people who like to say hello to me wait, as I wait . . . for the spirit . . . to move . . . me. Any minute now.

Best wishes, Juno

2 comments:

Stella and Annie said...

We had to check out your site to see what your breed looks like. We know a Newfie and a Pyr, but have never seen a Newfie/Pyr. We weren't disappointed...simply adorable!

Joan Taber said...

Of course, Newfie/Pyr is a guess. But, she does look the part, doesn't she? Stella and Annie are charming.