Friday, December 22, 2006

UPS Doesn't Deliver: Dogs in Yard


Yesterday, Joan was waiting for a package from UPS. She was on her way out the door just as the UPS truck came tootling down the road. Inside the truck were two giant men with bulging muscles and Joan’s little old package. The truck slowed down in front of the house, and the giant men took one look at Shane and me, got all pale looking, and gunned the engine without ever having come to a full stop. And we weren’t even barking! We were just lazing out in the low afternoon sun waiting for the Winter Solstice (see photo as evidence). They could have dropped the package over the fence; that’s what they usually do when we’re outside. But, I guess the Christmas spirit was upon them, and they were in a hurry to find a delivery site without dogs. Joan wasn’t exactly smiling about not getting her package, but I felt kind of special and proud about the whole event. It’s the first time I’ve gotten to scare someone away.

My bark is much higher than Shane's. Usually, people just laugh when I bark, even when I'm feeling serious. And then their voices climb a few octaves, and they ask, "What's the matter, Big Girl?" But, Shane's bark is a real guy bark. If you were looking for its key on the piano, it would be way over to the left. Everyone runs for cover when Shane barks—especially the rabbits and cats. I have to admire him for that.

Best Wishes for the Holiday Season, Juno

No comments: