Sunday, October 7, 2007

Shane: Chasing Fear




If you walk past my yard, you might notice me and Shane watching you from inside the chain-link fence. Me? I’ll just look at you, sniff your passing scent, and maybe give you a tail wag.

But, Shane will work himself into a frenzy. Beginning with a low growl of a bark, he’ll dig his claws into the grass and make his body taut like a crossbow ready to snap. As soon as you step foot in front of the fence, he’ll race down to the gate making sure you don’t try to touch it. Don’t mess with the gate, people!

Then, once you pass the gate, he’ll follow you to the end of the yard and bark at your back until you disappear or until Joan calls for him to come inside.

Shane loves to be called away from his phantom dangers. That’s because he really doesn’t like to act the way he acts. He simply doesn’t know any other way to encounter the unknown.

But, sometimes he acts more like me, especially if the person is cool. And by cool, I mean Dalai Lama cool, not home-boy cool.

He allows cool people in the yard with nothing more than an enthusiastic wagging of the tail. See? If you’re not afraid, he’s not afraid. All that barking and tensing up and chasing retreating shadows is nothing more than fear.

Me? I’m not afraid of you, so I let you enter and exit my world in complete peace. And you don’t have to be the actual Dalai Lama.

Best wishes, Juno

No comments: