Monday, October 8, 2007

Anticipation and a Hug from Scott in Scrubs

So glad to be home again. Whew.

There are times when you have to face the known, even though you know you’re not going to like the experience. And there are times when you have to stare into the eyes of the unknown, even if you’re quivering with fear.

Let me explain.

Today, I was as nervous as a mouse in a bag of cat food because it was time for our annual checkup at Babylon Animal Hospital. Wow. Just staring at that dark and ominous picture glass outside of the building gave me such palpitations. What would happen? What would they do to me? To Shane? To Joan?

Joan put Shane’s muzzle on him, pushed open the heavy glass door, and brought us into the slippery tile of the gray and blue waiting room. All eyes fell on us. The woman behind the counter fired questions in our direction.

Why were we there? Would we sign in? Did we have an appointment? The people waiting in the room gave us little smiles of concern that bordered on pity. They knew my fear.

My heart beat heavily in my chest. My mind raced down the fog-filled alleyways of anticipation. The vet was in the back getting her tools of destruction ready, sharpening her knives and knitting needles, filling them with foul smelling drugs that would soon take over my mind, my body, my life. She would poke me in sensitive spots and announce that I was too fat and maybe even hurt me with that cold thing that dangles carelessly from her doctor’s neck.

Scott, a handsome young man in blue scrubs, came out to get us. “Juno and Shane,” he called.

As it turned out, Scott was really kind to us. He even petted Shane and said he was one good looking dog. Shane wasn’t sure how to take the compliment, so he growled. Just in case the kindness was a ruse.

Dr. Schmitt came in and petted us with enthusiasm. She said nice things to us and tried to make us feel relaxed. It worked for me, but Shane. . . . Well, Shane is forever Shane.

When the vet started to poke around my body, Scott slipped his strong arms around me and held me against his heart, whispering sweet things in my ear.

“Hi, Juno. I’m Scott.”

I looked deeply into his eyes.

“Don’t’ be afraid,” he said. “No one will hurt you.”

I just knew in my instinctive soul that he was telling the truth. A guy who wears an earring always has a gentle side.

Shane nearly had a heart attack. He was really scared, thinking people would do terrible and unspeakable things to him. Good thing he was wearing his muzzle. Good thing for Scott and nice Dr. Schmitt.

And so we exited the tunnel of the known and the unknown to find that life always provides a way out. And sometimes the things you think will hurt you the most turn out to be the very things that make life a treat. Like a hug. Like a kind word. Like the best part of the day, which was when Dr. Schmitt said I wasn’t fat at all. See? I knew it all along. I’m just right.

Shane? He’s on a little diet, but we’ll let that be our little secret. He doesn’t even know about it.

Best wishes, Juno

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

many years ago I was a volunteer at a shelter in new mexico- I was resposible for taking dogs to the vet- one day I entered his office and there was new carpet- I about freaked because I knew this new dog was gonna pee- and she did- and they came out with a suckitupsteam cleaner, grabbed out the spot,and left- when i got the dog in to see the vet I told him how sorry I was, but asked if he was aware of the problem- he assured me he was, and it was no problem at all- he had put in carpet so the dogs would not slip- he felt the dogs were afraid already, and slipping didn't help- so he bought the most sturdy expensive carpet he could find, and a very expensive steam cleaner germ killer- for the dogs- so they wouldn't slip-