Friday, May 15, 2009

Azaleas & LIfe


Every year, somewhere in the middle of May on a sunny day, it's azalea-picture day. Shane and Saki and I get called to the front yard, directed to the big azalea bush, and told to sit. And every year, Joan says, “Wow. What beautiful colors.”

And she takes about 100 pictures.
It's a strange ritual since we think, well, if you've seen one picture of us sitting in front of the azalea bush, you've pretty much seen them all. Don't you think?
But, it's also a way we mark the passing of the years. It might seem silly, but it's kind of nice. I mean, life is just like a bush full of azalea flowers. When it blooms, it really blooms in the most spectacularly rich colors, and you think, wow, I'm glad I'm alive to see this.

And when it's not in bloom, that is, when it's just sitting there being green, you forget it's there, forget to appreciate the beauty that whirls inside of it like a great rainbow of the best secrets.
So, getting our picture taken in front of the blooming azalea is like getting our picture taken in front of life when it's at its peak of perfection. And so I think, Oh, I like being included in this.
Best wishes, Juno

No comments: