Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Vision


Shane and I are so different.

I almost met a handsome dog tonight. But, he was afraid to come too close. Can you see him in the picture? I called to him, but he pretended he didn’t hear me.

Until the dog arrived on the block, I hadn’t wanted to go for a walk, and I especially didn’t want to make a left. Shane and I sat outside of the gate. I looked to the left and wanted no part of it. Shane looked to the right and couldn’t understand why I was holding up the works.

And, then, I saw a vision, a captivating masterpiece of a dog with stand-up ears and a sleek but masculine neck unfettered by chains and collars. He was trotting around the bend at the end of the street looking all free, his tail up, his head proud, thinking what a great evening it was to take a little tour around the barrio.

Then, he saw me and Shane. Down came his head; his curly tail straightened; and you could see his nostrils flare as he grabbed our scent from the breeze. Joan said he was pretty. Shane was curious and began to whine. But, me, I yapped it up, hoping he’d come over and say hello.

But, no, he was too scared. Around he turned and off he trotted, pretending he was all brave and indifferent. But, I know he wanted to get closer to me. He just didn’t know how.

After a minute or so, we walked down the street in his direction. But, there was nothing left but his scent, which was quickly caught under the wheels of some passing cars. I wasn’t about to go chasing after a vanishing dream, so I pulled at the leash and forced Joan and Shane to turn back.

I’m going to spend the next hour or two stretched out on the cool grass watching the full moon try to squeeze through the thick gray clouds. Maybe the dog will show up again. Not that I’m interested.

Best wishes, Juno

No comments: